Well, yesterday was H's birthday. I flew home early this week, thinking I would surprise her. My efforts were defeated by technology though, as she had gotten wise and checked my flight itinerary in my email... she knew I was coming.
I did manage a small element of surprise in that I bought her a nice gift and delivered it (along with 30 red roses) to her while she was at dinner with her Mom and a friend. Included were note cards, one each for 'Happy Birthday', 'Happy Valentines Day' and 'Happy Anniversary'. Written on each of the first two cards was 'Love, Batch' and on the third "and Christmas too! Love, Batch'. Taped to the back of the final card was a 7 stone diamond anniversary band.
We had a very nice dinner at Vrazels. H had the Stuffed Red Snapper Bay St. Louis while I had the Veal Beauvoir complemented by a nice cabernet. We sat for quite a while after dinner having coffee and enjoying the exceptional company.
All in all it was a GREAT night, but I must admit I was disappointed that my 'surprise' was not really so surprising. Unfortunately, I allowed my 'disappointed' to change into 'angry' or 'mad' at H for snooping. The reality is I should be disappointed with myself for misleading her to believe that I wasn't coming home and into convincing her that I wasn't going to do something special for her 30th birthday. I've allowed my desire to pull one over on her to get in the way of her special day, allowed my desire for her admiration and approval to steal and taint her special memories. H is the love of my life, designed by God just for me and she deserves my honor and my love, not my selfish games.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
B.
You know its really something, I've tried to do the same thing. I get more joy (selfishly so) out of pulling one over on her than I do from giving her a real gift. I was so fortunate that our engagement was a complete suprise, because I had so many plans that if she had figured it out, I probably would have just handed her the ring and said "well, what do you think?"
Don't let them get you down, it's good to just do something nice, even if it isn't a suprise. Speaking of suprises, have you tried to go to my blog? It's been down for 3 days, I hope it comes back up.
ac.
I check out your blog often... sorry to hear its down. I'll keep looking for it to come back up.
Batch
Post a Comment